WARP 1
    100% Dune Whore
    In front of a monitor or in a server room some where in the valley.

Default '04 - '06 oil mod for YFZs

Rudy, What's the skinny on this?

http://www.jtatv.com/yfz450-oil-upgrade-kit.htm

I'll be at Camp2........ Next Dune Season ...... See you on the Sand !!

ATG-Arizona Technology Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElderGeek View Post

Hey ElderGeek I just thought I'd chime in and at least share how it's done. I just did the mod on my recent build. I know the info behind it but since you ask Rudy about it I won't jump on his toes. Here are some pics.

This is the right side case. You'll notice a small hole that is drilled on the end of the casted oil galley.

This is the side case cover that houses the oil filter. You'll notice the hole that's drilled in the center of the filter housing. That hole meets the oil galley on the right side case.

If you have any other questions let me know. Just trying to help out .
    Last edited by CADWELL; 04-06-2008 at 06:31 PM.

I Was Fast!!!!

Depends on what condition your engine is, there are three ways the oiler can be added and they all work. The way Buttmusk describes can only be done when the engine is fully torn down. The other two ways can be done with the engine in the quad. The link you sent works just fine, or instead of having your cover machined you can just get the 07 clutch cover.

We can do the mod any of the three ways.
    If you don't know, ask and i'll tell you!!!

Rudy Gonzales

-2008 Factory Can Am/Epic Race Team Crew Chief
    -2005-06 Factory Yamaha/Lonestar mechanic for Keith Little
    -1993-2003 Pro ATV Racer
    -DFR ATV Owner
    www.dfratv.com
    480-664-9860

I Was Fast!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmusk View Post
    Hey ElderGeek I just thought I'd chime in and at least share how it's done. I just did the mod on my recent build. I know the info behind it but since you ask Rudy about it I won't jump on his toes. Here are some pics.

This is the right side case. You'll notice a small hole that is drilled on the end of the casted oil galley.

This is the side case cover that houses the oil filter. You'll notice the hole that's drilled in the center of the filter housing. That hole meets the oil galley on the right side case.

If you have any other questions let me know. Just trying to help out .
    Just to be sure cause you didn't mention it, but are you running an o-ring between the drilled clutch cover and engine case??

Rudy Gonzales

-1993-2003 Pro ATV Racer
    -DFR ATV Owner
    www.dfratv.com
    480-664-9860

Quote Originally Posted by DFR Rudy!!! View Post
    Just to be sure cause you didn't mention it, but are you running an o-ring between the drilled clutch cover and engine case??
    I was going to go that route but I considered the other optin that guys are running which basicly involves a piece of cylinder base gasket. I actually went with 2 layers and a little Yamabond.

100% Dune Whore

Thanks guys! Is this the o-ring you are talking about Rudy?

So the hole you drill in the back of the filter housing aligns with above existing oil journal?

From the J&T site, this paragraph is what caught my attention:

“Oil Mod” vs. “Oil Upgrade”
    Is this “oil upgrade” different or better than the “oil mod” that became popular on internet forums? Absolutely. The "oil mod" was basically an emergency fix to the oil problem. The “mod” requires complete engine removal, the cases split, and a series of channels drilled in multiple areas. The jet used with the mod is set lower in the motor farther away from both it’s source (freshly filtered oil) and it’s target (wrist pin). In addition, the “mod” not only fails to utilize the new high velocity oil pump, it actually LOWERS oil pressure as a result of the additional channels. The “oil upgrade”, designed by Yamaha, is a more efficient and effective design patterned after the “oil mod”. The nozzle is located immediately after the oil filter (freshly filtered) and utilizes Yamaha’s new high velocity oil pump. The mechanical work, with J&T Product’s step by step illustrated instructions, can be completed in a short amount of time with minimal mechanical skill.

Now for the questions:

It looks like J&T either have cast there own "squirter" or they just send you out an '07 side cover. From their pics, (#3&4) it looks like a new side cover.

So I still need to split the case whether I drill it out myself or buy an '07 side cover, right?

I guess I don't see how one can get oil squirting up under the piston "without" splitting the case.

Is the pic above the "side cover" and Buttmusk's second pic is the "clutch cover"?

This looks like the same thing Buttmusk did but he used a jet instead of a very small drill. And an o-ring instead of gasket material.

http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/i...howtopic=49282

When they say High Velocity pump, do they actually mean Higher Pressure, which would in turn move more volume/capacity?
    Last edited by ElderGeek; 04-07-2008 at 02:57 PM.

I Was Fast!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmusk View Post
    I was going to go that route but I considered the other optin that guys are running which basicly involves a piece of cylinder base gasket. I actually went with 2 layers and a little Yamabond.
    that way sounds a little scary, if that gasket moves, you lose oil pressure and engine goes boom!! When the o-ring groove is cut into the case it can't move unless the side cover is off.

Rudy Gonzales

-1993-2003 Pro ATV Racer
    -DFR ATV Owner
    www.dfratv.com
    480-664-9860

I Was Fast!!!!

Thanks guys! Is this the o-ring you are talking about Rudy?

So the hole you drill in the back of the filter housing aligns with above existing oil journal?

From the J&T site, this paragraph is what caught my attention:

“Oil Mod” vs. “Oil Upgrade”
    Is this “oil upgrade” different or better than the “oil mod” that became popular on internet forums? Absolutely. The "oil mod" was basically an emergency fix to the oil problem. The “mod” requires complete engine removal, the cases split, and a series of channels drilled in multiple areas. The jet used with the mod is set lower in the motor farther away from both it’s source (freshly filtered oil) and it’s target (wrist pin). In addition, the “mod” not only fails to utilize the new high velocity oil pump, it actually LOWERS oil pressure as a result of the additional channels. The “oil upgrade”, designed by Yamaha, is a more efficient and effective design patterned after the “oil mod”. The nozzle is located immediately after the oil filter (freshly filtered) and utilizes Yamaha’s new high velocity oil pump. The mechanical work, with J&T Product’s step by step illustrated instructions, can be completed in a short amount of time with minimal mechanical skill.

Now for the questions:

It looks like J&T either have cast there own "squirter" or they just send you out an '07 side cover. From their pics, (#3&4) it looks like a new side cover.

So I still need to split the case whether I drill it out myself or buy an '07 side cover, right?

I guess I don't see how one can get oil squirting up under the piston "without" splitting the case.

Is the pic above the "side cover" and Buttmusk's second pic is the "clutch cover"?

This looks like the same thing Buttmusk did but he used a jet instead of a very small drill. And an o-ring instead of gasket material.

http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/i...howtopic=49282

When they say High Velocity pump, do they actually mean Higher Pressure, which would in turn move more volume/capacity?

You don't have to split the cases at all to get the squirter in there, the way you are seeing it done is as if you had to split the cases for another reason. I can get you all the parts needed to install the squirter like it came stock with the bike, no drilling or mods, just swap parts. You are looking at $349.99 for the complete kit.

Rudy Gonzales

-1993-2003 Pro ATV Racer
    -DFR ATV Owner
    www.dfratv.com
    480-664-9860

100% Dune Whore

RUdy, check your pm please....